Sunday, June 29, 2008

Culture Shock


Whenever you go on a missions trip, you're always warned about something called.."culture shock". No, this isn't from sticking your finger in a light socket, or getting jolted from someone who's active with static electricity. Though I wish it were that concrete, it's involves more the emotional and psychological aspect of a person who's coming from one culture and stepping into another. Culture can be defined as :the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group. It's what makes up a particular people group; their language, their way of thinking, how they perceive life, and living. How another culture does things isn't necessarily wrong, just different.

Now if you've ever experienced "culture shock" which is really what I would describe and clashing with how another people group lives , thinks and responds, or what the encyclopedia describes as
a term used to describe the anxiety and feelings (of surprise, disorientation, confusion, etc.) felt when people have to operate within an entirely different cultural or social environment, such as a foreign country; then you can understand what i'm talking about.

The reason i'm talking about all this after being in Uganda almost 2 years now is because I find myself experiencing it a new. It seemed to be an easy adjustment the first time over (the honeymoon phase), a bit more difficult after our visit to the states (reality setting in) and more difficult than ever after living here with a baby.

I find that the way Ugandans think regarding their children and parenting is much different than the culture I come from. The people here live in what I would call the village mindset. Everyone raises the child as a community, and everyone has their say and opinion. In America, we tend to live more isolated and private and it's offensive to give advice when it's not asked for, especially regarding parenting.

Well in my life these days, the village midset is clashing with the western mindset that i've become accustom to. Perfect strangers will come up to me and tell me I should cover my child better, or feed him if he's crying (even if he's not hungry), they will try to take him from my arms and hold him without asking, and stare in amazement when I cover up while nursing. (Nursing in public is an accepted practice here.)

Here I notice mothers covering their babies in layers of clothing and winter hats when it is 70, or 80 degrees outside because they have a cultural idea that cold weather causes sickness and death. They've become so accustom to their children getting sick and dying that they've decided it's because their children weren't protected from the weather. Knowing that the weather doesn't cause sickness (especially 70 or 80 degree weather) I have become the odd one out and am told almost daily that I need to cover my child. This is a cultural clash and is a hurdle in parenting that I must learn to climb over.

Culture is an interesting thing and I think about how funny some cultural ideas come about. It all comes from experience. And here...if grandmother (jaja) says it's true, then it must be true. My American experience has been much different than the Ugandan experience. If grandma says it's true, I check on the internet! ha.

So, all that to say. If you want to experience what i'm talking about, just come to Uganda and discover all the joys and struggles that living in another country produces.

All for now......



6 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's cool to hear a little look into real life over there. It's things like that that tell us what living in Uganda might actually be like. Keep it up!

Ann Dunagan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann Dunagan said...

Hey Brent and Virginia, you just keep raising your little kiddo the way that GOD is calling you to raise Him. You're accountable before God, and you two are doing a fabulous job.

It was good to see you both, even if it was so very brief.

If you want, come check out my new blog . . . and you can also see a ton a pics that Christi loaded on facebook. We really had a good trip, and now, our ministry (of raising support for the needs) is beginning.

Love you both!
Ann

jennifer lee said...

wow...it'll be interesting to see their input when you guys reach the disciplining phase with little Josiah. that's always interesting...

Ann Dunagan said...

Brent & Virginia,

When you can, I'd love for you to take a look at a blog post, entitled "iplead" - which I added recently. The word "plead" has been burning in my heart - and in the blog post, I share a bit about it, along with a strong recommendation for you two and "plead the cause."

Keep on keeping on. And greetings from Jon and all of us.

Janet said...

Virginia,
Keep up the good work I know you are an amazing Momma!
Love,
Janet